The City of Tybee Island will begin issuing new T-Numbers for motorized carts on Tuesday January 18, 2022. Inspections and registrations will be completed at the South Annex, 1509 Strand Avenue (The old Marine Science Center).
Carts can be registered and inspected Monday-Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. All motorized carts operating on Tybee Island must have a new T-number and an inspection sticker.
Anyone with an existing T-number will need to re-register their cart and get a new T-number and inspection sticker. Those without a T-number will need to register their carts and get a T-number and inspection sticker.
All carts must meet the criteria spelled out in the city ordinance in order to be registered. After that motorized cart must be inspected annually. No appointment is necessary for registrations or inspections. The initial registration fee for motorized carts used in the city is $15.00.
To be eligible for registration, motorized carts must meet the following criteria;
- You must have a valid driver’s license.
- Proof of insurance showing the state minimum liability standards for automobiles (home owners insurance policies will not be accepted).
- The cart must have working headlights.
- The cart must have working taillights.
- The cart must have working brake lights.
- The cart must have working turn signals.
- The cart must have seat belts for each seat (2 seater = 2 seatbelts, 4 seater = 4 seatbelts, etc…).
- The cart must have a working horn.
- The cart must have a working amber/yellow, revolving/flashing light, visible from all directions.
- Maximum speed capability of any motorized cart must not exceed 20 miles per hour