City Allows LIMITED Use of Golf Carts on City Streets
All golf carts must be registered with the Tybee Island Police Department. To get registered, bring your golf cart to the Police Department located at 78 Van Horne Avenue to complete an inspection with a Code Enforcement Officer. If your inspection passes there is a $15 charge (exact cash or card accepted) for your registration sticker (also called a T-Number). This sticker must be displayed at all times.
- Operational headlights, tail lights, brake lights, top-mounted amber flasher or rotating light, turn signals, horn, and seatbelts are required equipment.
- Maximum speed must not exceed 20 miles per hour.
- All occupants must wear seatbelts at all times.
- Operation on sidewalks is prohibited.
- Operators must comply with all traffic regulations applicable to regular traffic.
- Only licensed drivers 16 years of age or older with minimum insurance of $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident, and $15,000 in liability insurance may operate these vehicles. Proof of insurance must be shown at registration and kept on or in the vehicle.
- All parking regulations must be followed; parking must be paid for via meter or decal. Parking decals for golf carts may only be purchased at City Hall at current rates – free parking permits provided to local tax payers are not supplied for motorized carts.
- Violators subject to fine up to $1,000 or imprisonment up to 12 months!
This page is available to download at Golf Cart Rules & Regulations.