News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/2/2018 12:36:43 PM to 11/1/2018 12:00:01 AM.
Posted on: May 1, 2018
[ARCHIVED] Sea Turtle Nesting Season
- Turtle Nesting Season: May 1 - Oct 31
- Do NOT disturb turtle nests, marked or unmarked, by order of State and Federal Law!
- Hatchlings are attracted to light!
- If using a flashlight on the beach, use red bulbs or filter
- By city ordinance, bright lights cannot be visible from beach
- Nesting turtles may be spooked away or even hurt by items or holes left on the beach!
- Pick up your trash and belongings before leaving the beach (City Ordinance!)
- Do not leave sandcastles or excavations in the sand overnight!
- All sea turtle species found on the Georgia coast are endangered and protected by State and Federal Law! Loggerheads are the most common sea turtle found on Tybee, with Leatherbacks next, but green sea turtles, Hawksbill, could rarely be found here, and all are protected!
- Visit seaturtle.org for information about Turtle Conservation. Visit the Tybee Sea Turtle Project on Facebook, or the TI Marine Science Center at http://www.tybeemarinescience.org to get status on turtle nesting on Tybee and Little Tybee.
- Report injured or dead sea turtles to 800-272-8363