Development Authority/Main Street Program
The Development Authority/Main Street Program is an inclusive program through the City of Tybee Island that
focuses on economic development within the context of historic preservation in a balanced fashion.
With assistance from a city staff person, seven (7) directors appointed by City Council and four (4) ex-officio directors whom represent the business community, non-profit organizations, and full-time residents govern the Program. More information can be found here.
Residents, merchants, and visitors have benefited and continue to so in a variety of ways since the inception of the Program.
A brief list of accomplishments that have occurred for citizens, merchants, and visitors include:
- Conceptualized, implemented, and promote the Buy Local Tybee concept.
* The logo was enhanced with the "Shop. Dine. Do" tagline in 2017.
- Obtained over $29,000 in grant monies to assist the City with an anti-litter campaign and y placing trash receptacles along heavily used sidewalks.
- Obtained over $11,000 in grant monies to build awareness and sustain the anti-litter campaign, Keep Tybee Tidy.
- Obtained over $25,000 in grant monies to update the Historic Resources Survey in two phases. There are a total of 845 structures identified with this survey, which is approximately 40% of structures on the island.
- Encouraging preservation activities and highlighting the importance and benefits of protecting the island’s unique architectural details and heritage.
- Conceptualized, implemented, review, and award Facade Improvement Grants for commercial buildings. As of FY 2017-18, the match has increased 80%! This is the first increase in three years thanks to the city's commitment to preservation and enhancement efforts.
- Coordinate Ribbon Cutting Ceremonies, and the like, for new entrepreneurs / businesses celebrating a milestone anniversary with City Officials and the public.
- Initiated and manage the Tybee Island Information Providers Program at the Info Hut in Downtown Tybee and create materials for posting.
* In partnership with Visit Tybee, staffing is provided to maintain this service created to assist visitors at the Hut (an estimate of 4,000+ ea. year).
- Conceptualized, implemented, manage, and create materials for the Informational Kiosk at the Park of Seven Flags.
- Coordinate and host annual city-sponsored community events that highlight the arts, the businesses, and the community's well-being; process requests for organizations hosting events and/or companies doing productions; track and report the economic impact of events (2017 = $1.7 million) and productions (2017 = $3 million) throughout the year.