Development Authority/Main Street Program
The Development Authority/Main Street Program is an inclusive program through the City of Tybee Island that
focuses on economic development within the context of historic preservation in a balanced fashion.
With assistance from a city staff person, seven (7) Directors appointed by City Council and four (4) Ex-Officio Directors whom represent the business community, non-profit organizations, and full-time residents govern the Program. More information can be found here.
Residents, merchants, and visitors have benefited and continue to so in a variety of ways since the inception of the Program.
A brief list of accomplishments include:
- Conceptualized, implemented, and promote the Buy Local Tybee concept.
- Obtained over $18,000 in grant monies to assist the City with buying and strategically placing trash receptacles along heavily used sidewalks.
- Obtained over $11,000 in grant monies to build awareness and sustain the anti-litter campaign, Keep Tybee Tidy.
- Obtained over $25,000 in grant monies to update the Historic Resources Survey in two phases. There are a total of 845 structures identified with this survey, which is approximately 40% of structures on the island.
- Encouraging preservation activities and highlighting the importance and benefits of protecting the island’s unique architectural details and heritage.
- Conceptualized, implemented, review, and award Facade Improvement Grants for commercial buildings. As of FY 2017-18, the match has increased 80%! This is the first increase in three years thanks to the city's commitment to preservation and enhancement efforts.
- Coordinate Ribbon Cutting Celebrations, and the like, for new entrepreneurs / businesses celebrating a milestone anniversary with City Officials and the public.
- Initiated and manage the Tybee Island Information Providers Program at the Info Hut in Downtown Tybee and create materials for posting. Developed partnership with Visit Tybee to provide staffing to maintain this service created to assist visitors (an estimate of 4,000+ ea. year).
- Conceptualized, implemented, manage, and create materials for the Informational Kiosk at the Park of Seven Flags.
- Coordinate and host annual city-sponsored community events that highlight the arts, the businesses, and the community's well-being; process requests for organizations hosting events and/or companies doing productions; track and report the economic impact of events (2016 = $2,244,760.00) and productions (2016 = $7.8 mill) throughout the year.